Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Millerton - Gardening


This year, I've tried a few new things in our Garden.

Pumpkins

My brother has grown various types of pumpkins in California for several years. His vines produce many more pumpkins than one can handle so he decided to start a fantastic tradition of
leaving a nice, new pumpkin on his neighbors' doorstep (several pumpkins if the family had
children) every Halloween.

So this year I thought I'd give pumpkin farming a try (eager at the chance to have enough to leave one or a few on my neighbors' doorstep). And, as you can see from this little beauty (and it's only
July) I've achieved some success. This one is the
largest and we have about 8 other pumpkins of various sizes so far.

My brother advised me to put "their bottoms down" to achieve a more round, typical
jack-o-lantern, shape. As they mature, they will of course become larger, then they'll turn yellow and eventually ORANGE.

Unfortunately, however, the pumpkin patch has started to take over our entire garden. Note to self: next year, plant them where there is a lot more space!

Zinnias

While I've grown Zinnias from seed in California, last year, when I attempted in Millerton, not a single flower came up! I was convinced it was something I did wrong - now I'm convinced they were just old seeds. BECAUSE look at these beauties.

These photos do not do these wonderful flowers justice. The first photo shows a flower whose color fades from a fantastic dark peach to a wonderful warm golden yellow - with a soft pink center. It reminds me of rainbow sherbet ice cream. (It's my favorite one so far.)

At first glance this bright pink one seems so perfectly simple and yet, because of
the tiny row of yellow flowers around the center, you'll notice that it is actually very complex.


In fact, and this may sound odd, but it reminds me of when I was a little girl and I'd watch the Jackie Gleason show with my father. Before the show (which was the "Honeymooners") they'd have "Jackie and the June Taylor Dancers". www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEQg-L-Rbp0 The women would dance on the floor making all sorts of kaleidoscopic like images from the birds-eye camera above.
I know, I know... but that's what it reminds me of. I think because of it's bright, very feminine color and the rows of petals.

And in this last photo, showing the height that these lovelies have reached, (with orange cherry tomatoes as a backdrop) you can clearly see how sturdy, healthy and prolific the Zinnia is. Oh sure, Zinnia's may not have a fragrance but they make terrific cut flowers that will last a good week in fresh water.

I plan to harvest the seeds from the strongest most lovely ones so I'll have even more next year. Not a bad investment - a $2 pack of seeds.

Brussels Sprouts
Here is an update on my Brussels Sprouts...
As you can see, they are turning into perfect little nubs (for lack of a better word). The wonderful thing about Brussels Sprouts is you can just cut off as many as you'd like and leave the others to mature. These are definitely on my "always grow" list.



No comments:

Post a Comment