Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Millerton - Home Improvement

Next Project is Underway – The Dining Room

First let me say, I love my dining room. The large bay windows allow for so much natural light that the room always seems to have a warm glow - even during the coldest, darkest months. And I love how the space flows from the living room and into the kitchen.

That said, there is a lot of room for improvement.

This is what it looked like when I purchased the home.

Notice the outdated ceiling and wallpaper.

So naturally, the first thing that had to go was the drop ceiling. This process is not really as difficult as it may seem – just takes a steady foot on the ladder and a good pair of wire cutters.

What’s left behind, however, is a ceiling in need of a lot of help. There are cracks and holes to repair and a light fixture to be installed.

The next part was to remove the “wood” paneling. Again, simple enough with a good pry-bar and some elbow grease.

Lastly, the wallpaper was stripped.


That was about it for the demolition part anyway.

My electrician is scheduled to come out next week to add the chandelier over the dining table. I’m creating a “built-in look" bar which I will have him light. (I’m assembling the parts but no photos yet because I want to keep it a surprise).

Once my electrician has completed his job, then I can get in there and patch the holes (with drywall if necessary). I’ve also decided to add a simple chair rail around the bay window area. This will let me paint the bottom of the chair rail one color and above the chair rail another color.

The funny thing is, out of everything that needs to be done, to me, finding the right color (or colors) is the most daunting part of decorating my beloved dining room.

I am, however, loving this color (Martha Stewart/Home Depot's "Fortune Cookie").

But no decision has been made yet.

Additional photos to be posted shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment