Monday, March 12, 2012

Home Improvements

Finishing one project to begin anew.

I seem to have caught a case of the Carpentry bug!

This past weekend I built a bench. Building things from wood is a lot of fun and definitely something you get better at each time you complete a project.

I have been looking for a storage bench for quite a while but could not find one that was right for the space (either too big, or too small, or too expensive). So, I took the logical step and made one to my specifications.

Unfortunately, I do not [yet] have much in the way of equipment… A skill saw, rather than a table saw, a cordless drill with only a few bits - many have broken or are missing…



But I can still make a pretty decent storage bench which completes my foyer nicely. And now there’s the perfect place to take off and store your shoes and coats.



My next project: Finish the dining room.

Goal: By May 1, 2012.

To Do: Patch ceiling and walls, add chair rail, paint, hang chandelier, build a built-in shelf.

Here are some photos of my dining room ceiling and walls as they are today.


My electrician has installed a new outlet and it's ready for the plaster work before installing the light fixture.












As you can see, it will require a lot of patching.












I’m going to remove this entire section of lath & plater from the wood cabinet left. I'll put up a new drywall sheet to cover the old furnace chimney and to the right. And add a nook/built-in shelves (to the far left) to hold collectibles.

(I’m not one for knickknacks everywhere – but I do like to collect a few things here and there, especially from travels).

No comments:

Post a Comment