Thursday, June 17, 2010

Autumn in Millerton





Autumn 2009 – Changes Abound.

I’m sure you’ve all heard, and some have experienced, “fall foliage” in New England. I’ve lived in Manhattan for eight years, come this August, and I’ve seen my share of leaves changing colors. In the past, the signs that winter is on its way has left me a little sad (mentally attempting to prepare myself for the next 3 or so months of cold and dark days).

This year, with my weekend trips by rail, upstate through the hills and valleys and over lakes and streams, I was able to witness the complete metamorphosis of the counties and our town.

It began innocent enough, in late September with the evenings cooling down and the chrysanthemums in bloom. But by October, there was no hiding the change from deep green, to yellow, to bright orange and reds. The landscape became a rainbow: red, orange, yellow and green were the trees and grass (the grass, or hay before being cut, was actually chartreuse), the sky light blue turning into deep blue turning into violet and ultimately indigo. And each weekend, the colors became more intense, the air fresher, crisper and sweeter. And Millerton started to relax a bit from its busy summer (busy for a small village that is) with the bike loads of bikers.

Fall is serine.



No comments:

Post a Comment