Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Millerton and Our First Tomatoes


At long last, we have some color on our tomatoes!

We planted these gorgeous plants when they were just seedlings in mid-June and they have taken their dear sweet time to ripen.

This one is named Early Girl - but she wasn't very early!
(But as we all know, beautiful things just can't be rushed.)

I worry we will get a large crop all at once - but plan on making sauces, salsas, relish, out of these beauties. There is truly nothing like a vine ripened, home-grown tomato. Good thing tomatoes are one of my daughter's favorite foods!

This is a Beef Steak variety.


Meanwhile, my friend Tim who is from the south,
made the most delicious fried green tomatoes.
I had tried fried green tomatoes before,
but either it was my terrific tomato,
or Tim's recipe and hand at the stove,
or a combination of both --- Tim's Fried Green Tomatoes were incredible





2 comments:

  1. Last Saturday I went to Tipsy Parson, a restaurant near our apartment in Chelsea, New York. I love Tipsy Parson HOWEVER, their Fried Green Tomatoes paled in comparison to Tim's. I suspect partially because we had the best, home grown, green tomatoes but also, Tim's recipe and ability ROCKS.

    ReplyDelete