Monday, June 13, 2011

Millerton - Vegetable Garden

The real difference between rich and regular people is that the rich serve such marvelous vegetables. Little fresh born things, scarcely out of the earth. Little baby corns, little baby peas, little lambs that have been ripped out of their mothers’ wombs. Truman Capote.

Our lovely garden is coming along nicely.


Pumpkins.

My little pumpkin patch (first time pumpkin grower here) seems to be doing just fine! I can't wait to train their long tentacles to grow all around the garden boxes. And this fall, my daughter and her friends will be so happy picking the orange beauties for Halloween Jack-O-Lanterns. (Oh, and I'm looking forward to making - and eating - pumpkin pies.)


Vegetables

I took advantage of the cool weather this past weekend and placed pea gravel around the raised beds. No more having to navigate the mower around the boxes and I love the earthy look (although I'm feeling the 15 wheel-barrel loads of gravel it in my back today!)



I also planted a few more things. I planted some sweet potatoes, a rhubarb, a sun choke and even tried soy-beans. Soy-beans don't generally grow around these parts (hehe) but I figured, "What the heck. If they grow and I get some beans, my daughter will be very happy with me."










Fruit

Although our plum tree had a bunch of lovely white blossoms in early spring, only one lovely little plum survived our very strange weather including exceptionally high winds (even some suspect "tornadoes") torrential rain and thunder storms. Now, if it can just survive the birds!

No comments:

Post a Comment