Monday, June 11, 2012

Millerton Gardening


Flowers

Some of my favorite flowers are the ones I grew up with like snap dragons, lupine, gaillardia, dahlias and foxglove.


In Southern California (the land of perfect weather) oddly enough, snap dragons are grown as annuals. This red beauty is not only a “volunteer” from my neighbor’s garden, but it wintered beautifully and now it’s doubled in size and the flowers are stunning.

Lavender lupine, purple heliotrope, nasturtium and stocks make a  great focal point.

Gaillardia.


This is the second year for my lovely lupine and gaillardia and now they are blooming profusely.  I have also planted dahlias, which must be removed and stored away in the winter.  The smaller variety works great in hanging baskets.

Yellow dahlia with lavender lobelia and red and green coleus. 

Pink dahlia with dark pink and white petunias.

No comments:

Post a Comment