Monday, June 11, 2012

My Vegetable Garden


How does your garden grow?

My brothers in California have very nice vegetable gardens but suffer from critters, like the notorious gopher, pests and dry warm weather in the inland areas or damp over-cast weather (causing mildew among other thing) which can damage crops.  And while Millerton might not have as long as growing season as Southern California, it has a strong one.  The recent summer rains and warm weather has made my vegetable garden grow leaps and bounds over what I use to grow in California.  And Millerton’s soil is so full of compost and related nutrients, it’s not necessary for me to fertilize.  The best part is I never have to water (although sometimes I do because that’s something I enjoy).  


My cucumbers are twining up the white birth branches nicely.  

In this area I have sugar snap peas, carrots, beans radish and brussels sprouts.

The potatoes are coming along nicely. No blooms yet but the plants are strong and healthy.

This doesn't look like much, but those skinny little things poking out of the ground are my asparagus. This is the first year and we should be able to start harvesting in 2-3 years.




No comments:

Post a Comment