Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Joy of Gardening in Millerton

“I dream of the days when I’m old and all I do all day long is garden”.

My father was a landscape architect and we grew up with a love and appreciation for all things plant. As a child we had a very large vegetable garden and living in San Diego, it supplied us with amazing fruits and vegetables nearly all year round. Sadly, at least until I have a proper green house, our growing season is only a few months long. So that means, as soon as the soil is workable, it “busy time” in the yard --- all work I love!

So, the plans for this coming weekend, as they will be for the next several weekends, are busy ones.

Early Saturday I'm heading up to Hillsdale and talk to Herrington’s people about rocks. Well, not just any rocks but fieldstone and blue flagstone. The fieldstone will be for the border around the flower garden and our new Japanese Maple . The flagstone will form our new walk way (or path) from the gate to our front door. “Gate?” Yes, the other major plan for this weekend is to stake out, measure and then meet with my guy Billy so we can get started on our picket fence.

These are the beginning elements (stone and picket fence) necessary to transform a boring front yard into an English Cottage garden.

One of the other things I plan to do is to change the windows. Well, not really change them because they are antique, but to update them. I recently came across this website: http://www.fixhome.com/Index.html which supplies window grilles (or grates) that can be installed over the windows. Look at any photo of a proper “Cottage Garden” and you’ll see that the homes always have these beautiful window grilles.

Anyway, one step at a time. So, this weekend two major things to accomplish and then the rest of the time I’m going to just be outside “gardening”… joy!


No comments:

Post a Comment